The Diocese of Tyler Special Needs and Disabilities Ministry invites all persons with Special Needs and their families to experience, throughout their lifespan, their essential belonging to the Body of Christ. We work with clergy and families as well as other partners to encourage people with special needs to participate fully in their parishes and communities.
Annual Mass for Families with Special Needs
Saturday: April 29, 2017 at 10:00 AM
Celebrant: Rev. Daniel Dower, STL
Chapel of Sts. Peter and Paul - 1405 ESE Loop 323 Tyler, Texas 75701
Reception: Chancery 1015 ESE Loop 323, Tyler, Texas 75701.More Info and Mass Flyer in English and Spanish >>>
- All families with children or adults with special needs are welcome.
- Modified liturgy will be celebrated to accommodate these needs.
- All parishes are asked to send a representative so they can see how to model this liturgy in their parish.
- Special dispensation from your Sunday obligation for this weekend will be granted to those who attend.
- Please RSVP to Linda Porter by April 27 so we can provide for the reception. or call 903-312-1337
- January 27 is the feast day of St. Angela Merici. She has been designated patroness of those with special needs for the Diocese of Tyler. Please include intercessory prayers on that day for these families.
We worship a ‘disabled God.’ The twisted, distorted, disfigured image of Jesus on the cross shows how God allowed himself to become disabled and at the same time completely accessible to human beings in need of healing. We can see the disabled child or adult in God’s likeness. “All persons with disabilities have the capacity to its truth within the community of faith and offer valuable gifts. Their participation enriches every aspect of Church life. They are not just recipients of catechesis- they are its agents.” National Catechetical Directory 49.
National Catholic Partnership on Disabilities
Tyler Run for Autism
East Texas Center for Independent Living - Includes services for persons with disabilities.
Deafnessrs4a@hhsc.state.tx.us - Abilities Success, Inc. provides help for those who are deaf in the East Texas area.
Tyler.firstname.lastname@example.org - This organization provides health services, pediatric therapy, developmental services, and medical solutions.
Kayli.email@example.com - East Texas Department of State Health Services provides social workers for children with special needs care issues.
April 22 Tiger Creek Awareness Day for Autism Tyler (See below)
April 22 A Day in the Park Marshall City Park for Families of Autism - 10-1 (see below)
April 29 Mass for Families with Special Needs 10 - St. Peter and Paul
May 27 Chancery 10:00 -1:00 The Future of Special Needs in Diocese
June 17-18 San Marcos Parent to Parent Conference on Special Needs
June 19, 20, 22 Catechist Camp on Identifying Special Needs in your Parish, St Mary's Parish
If your parish or community is offering any help, resources, or activities for families with special needs and disabilities, please contact Linda to include this information on our website.
If you are interested in any further information about any of these, contact Linda Porter at firstname.lastname@example.org
Special Needs Contact
Linda Porter, M.T.S.